Former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru has said the report by the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) is proof of her innocent in the National Youth Service (NYS) scandal.
Speaking during a tour of Kirinyaga on Thursday, Ms Waiguru said that the report reaffirms her previous pronouncements that she was not involved in any way in the loss of money at the NYS.
“That PAC has not found anything linking me to the NYS saga supports what I have always insisted – I was and still am innocent,” she stated.
The former Devolution CS further hit out at her political rivals saying their incessant push to have her implicated in the NYS scandal was politically-motivated.
“The committee’s recommendations however embarrass those who have made attempts to achieve political mileage using the unfortunate NYS scandal.”
She also played down the gravity of the report recommending that she be barred from running for the Kirinyaga governorship seat if she is found guilty of being involved in the NYS scandal saying it is not unusual.
Ms Waiguru noted that committee was within its mandate to issue the recommendations as stipulated in the Constitution, further noting that the recommendations should not just apply to her but every Kenyan.
‘PAC recommendations not just for me’
“This is applicable to every Kenyan and not unique to me. It is in the law. Those found guilty whether in the NYS scandal, the Ministry of Health scam, hate speech or any acts of criminal nature, upon exhausting all mechanisms of appeal, should be barred from holding public office,” stated Ms Waiguru.
She further stated that her plan now is to focus on her campaign and offer better services for the people of Kirinyaga if elected governor.
“I am glad that now am free to fully focus on my political journey and ambition to serve the people of Kirinyaga and better their living standards.”
The report, tabled in the National Assembly on Thursday, calls for fresh investigations into the NYS scandal recommending that action be taken against those found guilty.
This comes after months of sittings which saw the committee probe different witnesses with a view of unraveling the riddle surrounding the NYS saga.
Appearing before the committee last year, Waiguru distanced herself from the scandal saying as CS she did a lot to stop further theft at the Ministry of Devolution, to the chagrin of cartels who were out to steal public funds.
DP Ruto’s aide Farouk Kibet
She also named Deputy President William Ruto’s personal assistant Farouk Kibet as one of the individuals who were in contact with businesswoman Josephine Kabura who is suspected to have fraudulently received a payment of Ksh1.67 billion from NYS.
Kabura and businessman Ben Gethi are the key suspects in the scandal that led to the loss of over Ksh1.8 billion at the NYS through fraudulent transactions.
She also claimed that some members of a cartel, who were and still are upset by her move to whistle blow and stop further thefts at the Ministry of Devolution, have crafted a meticulous plan to set her up in the NYS saga.
Kibet has admitted to having received money from Kabura, while Sing’oei Murkomen and Sigei Advocates, a law firm co-owned by Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen, reportedly received Ksh15 million from Out of Box Solutions, a firm owned by Gethi.
Despite his admission however, there are no adverse recommendations against Farouk Kibet, raising questions regarding the basis of the report.
PAC has recommended that Murkomen be charged over the NYS scandal.